Of Those Annoying Fire Drills

Posted by Wazit | Posted in | Posted on 6:24 AM

So there I was last night, sleeping like a log in my comfy bed when I got woken up suddenly by the an annoyingly loud sound. Groggy and half-asleep as I was, my hands instinctively went for the alarm clock, thinking it was the source of the sound. When the sound continued and my pounding of the alarm clock failed to make the sound disappear, I began to wonder why the hell the volume of my alarm clock is amplified by a factor of 100. Only then, it dawned upon me, it was the damn fire alarm. Still not fully awake, I stared at blank space for about 10 seconds or so before reaching for my coat which was hanging near the room entrance.


Taking a peek at my alarm clock, it was only about 5 am. Cursing whoever triggered the fire alarm, I wore my coat and stepped outside. Off I went to the designated meeting point in the case of a fire, which was the carpark behind the flat where I live in. Other tenants were also trickling out of their rooms, all of them having a zombified look with a hairstyle you would expect from people who just got out of bed. Any sleepiness I had in my body immediately evaporated as I felt the cold early morning wind biting at my feet and hands. Do note that I was only wearing a single coat over my jammies. Most of the others were also wearing jammies, some with a coat and some with not. Some were also bathrobes while a select few were half-naked. Yes, you heard me.... HALF-NAKED. How the hell they managed to stand the chilling wind is beyond me.


As the crowd of people became bigger and bigger, I saw my fellow IMU-ians huddled together at one corner. And so, what else would I do other than join them and speculate with them over what would have triggered the alarm. After about 10 minutes, the warden in charge made an announcement:
'This is just a fire drill. Unfortunately, we are required to do this at least once a year.'
And already I hear people grumbling and muttering their annoyances. Hell, I feel the same as them. Why wouldn't I be? Here I was, shivering my ass off for 10 minutes in the cold wind with nothing on but my jammies and a relatively thin coat.

When I went back to my room, I found one of my flatmates hiding in the common toilet. Apparently, she was hiding from the noise of the alarm as well as the warden who was checking whether the building has been evacuated already or not. Damn, maybe I should have done the same. From that time I went back to my room, I couldn't sleep a wink. Classes were starting at 9.00am and it was only 5.40 am. As a result, that whole day I was feeling pretty tired with only 4 hours of sleep. =(

Comments Posted (0)

Post a Comment