New Phone!

Posted by Wazit | Posted in | Posted on 5:57 AM

Finally! After lounging around in Southampton in search of a nice yet reasonably priced mobile phone plan, I finally settled on one! Behold, the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic that came absolutely free with my contract!


Okay, that's the glamorous picture.... now for the real life one :D

Front shot. The screen looks a bit reflective because I've already put on a screenguard

Back shot

Yes, as you can see in the back shot, the phone's from the mobile company '3'. Yes, that's the name company... 3. Went on an up and down journey before settling on this one =.= It all began when I first came to Southampton. The mobile phone operators didn't want to offer me a contract with me not having any bank account. And at that time, only O2 has a plan that didn't require any bank account or card. That is the Your Country plan that came with free international minutes depending on how much you top up. For a while, I was content with the plan since I can use the free minutes to call back home or something.


After a few weeks, I started to get the urge to register for a contract since my bank account was up and running and I wanted a new phone. And so off I went to compare prices between Vodafone, O2 and 3. At first, I wanted to go with O2 seeing as going with the same operator would be less of a hassle if I wanted to retain my number. But then, I noticed O2 had significantly higher contract prices than Vodafone or O2. Sure, they had quite a number of fills and add-ons but I didn't really need those.

The main hassle of switching operators is if you wanted to retain your number, which is the same in my case. To do that, you have to request some kind of code from them, called a PAC code. Then, you have to give this code to your new operator so that they can transfer your number from your old operator system to their own. All this will take a few working days as well. Well, I kinda pity the guy whom I ask the PAC code from. When he found out that I wanted to leave, he tried quite hard to make me stay and I refused since there's nothing much he can offer. But well yeah he tried hard, so hope this doesn't mean a cut in wages or something XD


Anyway, my next target was Vodafone since many people say their coverage is very good and their price plans are quite reasonable as well. Plus, they have an impressive range of phones. However, things did not go as planned. When I went to a Vodafone shop last week and said that I wanted to apply for a pay monthly contract, they ran a credit check on me. And then they said that since I just arrived in the UK and don't have enough of a credit history, they can't offer me a contract.
WHAT
THE
HELL?!
When I inquired further, they say they can call me back if my credit history is good enough to apply in the future. So I asked them how long would that take? They said at least a month. Well, I can't stand that long without a phone because my credit left with O2 was only less than a pound. And so, Vodafone was out of the question as well.


And so, I settled down with 3. With a contract of 25 pounds a month for 200 talk time minutes, unlimited text and unlimited internet, I would say it's quite a bargain. Another plus point is that 3 phones come equipped with Skype. And since I have an account with Skype that gives me free international calls back to Malaysia, that means I can call back home as well using my handphone for free! Normally I would need to pay for internet bills when using Skype, but since I get unlimited internet so eh... :D

Alright, almost reaching the end now. Let me finish up the post by posting a random picture of the day.

Guy in milk shake cup... convinced us to buy milk shake from his store XD

Comments Posted (0)

Post a Comment