Adult People Mental Health

Posted by Wazit | Posted in | Posted on 6:09 AM

Hi there mateys! Sorry for the late post, had been extremely lazy over the last few days :P I will try to be less lazy next time.... (no guarantees though XD) So this week is my 2nd week in my Adult Mental Health (AMH) attachment. One more week to go till I finish my mental health attachment :D Well, I had a week of Child and Adolescent Mental Health attachment but I didn't really get to see much.... due to the freak snowy weather which had most of my sessions cancelled. So now, what to say about AMH attachment? I have to say the patients I get to see are very interesting. The prevalence of diseases I got to see from AMH is a lot different than the diseases I got to see in Older People Mental Health. For example, dementia is very common among the elderly mental patients while schizophrenia and depression is more common among the adult mental patients. Oh... speaking of schizophrenia... isn't that scary?



Nah, I assure you... schizo patients are actually more pleasant than I imagine, of course... if you don't count their bizzare delusions or hallucinations. I have never seen so far a schizo patient actually attacking a staff... and certainly none running around with straitjackets. They are all pretty nice and friendly. What's more their delusions or hallucinations count for pretty interesting stories. Once, had a patient who thinks that someone embedded a microchip in his tooth and is controlling his every movement and bodily functions. Another time, I had another patient who thinks that young girls are constantly asking him for sex. Haha, should have seen how agitated my female friend was when she was sitting across the patient.

Concerning mental health attachment as a whole, I kinda enjoyed. A major gripe I have however is the amount of projects we have to do during this attachment e.g. present ways on how to challenge stigma among general population, creating questionnaires concerning mental diseases etc. Yeah, should have seen how it was during group discussions. Those Brits are so verbal that I practically feel shut out at times. Woo boy... never have that kind of problem back in Malaysia. People are so quiet that you have to say something to get the ball rolling, especially during PBLs.... >.>

Well, that should be all for now. Next up is paediatrics! :P Will try to update more in the next few days. (But like I said, no guarantees :D)

Comments Posted (0)

Post a Comment