O&G

Posted by Wazit | Posted in | Posted on 5:28 AM

So what's there to say about O&G? Actually, quite a lot. But time is against me at the moment so I will just say out a few things. So firstly, my attachment's in Portsmouth, which is about 45 km to Southampton. Every day, have to hitch a ride with one of the locals to get there. Secondly, I have to wake up at 6.30 am every day to get to the hospital on time. Now I know some people in Seremban do this on a regular basis, but I tak biasa lah.... plus it's getting friggin cold here that I very lazy to get out of bed (almost reached freezing point at Monday morning) Also, every day, about 5 o' clock only can go back.... quite a packed schedule compared to surgery. Like one of the gynecologist told us on our first day, only crazy people do O&G XD. Now that is out of the way, I'm gonna list out the reasons on why I love my current attachment.



First and foremost, we get loads of teaching sessions over here. Much, much, much more than what we had in Surgery posting. Almost every day have like 3 hours of teaching sessions, and the consultants don't do it half-assedly. No siree they do it pretty well, teach us very clearly and patiently. I really appreciate them taking 3 hours of their time teaching students. :D Though some of the O&G consultants are a little weird, maybe perhaps working too much overtime? XD One keep making awkward statements and remarks, as well as weird questions. And another is so passionate about 'common sense' that if I get a pound for every time he says that phrase, I would be able to pay my medical school fees for a year! Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

The hospital itself is very new, starting operations only from July (or was it June?) of this year. It looks very pretty from the outside, and you can gets lots of sunlight in the hospital due to the amount of glass they use XD (which is what we need when it gets too cold)

One of the newest picture I can find online

A complaint that I have though is that it is virtually impossible to get around the hospital without a security card. Every so often along a corridor, you get a door that can only be opened when you flash a security card to a nearby sensor. What makes things worse is that the temporary security cards that were promised to us has run out, available only from next week. We can't even access the damn teaching rooms and the storage lockers allocated to us without the damn security cards! D: Have to squat outside the doors till someone lets us in....

Another good thing is the interesting patients and the newborn babies you get to see here. Seeing all the newborn babies make you go 'Dawwww.... so cute!' One of the more interesting patients I had was a centenarian who came into the gynecological clinic yesterday. If you don't know what a centenarian is, it's someone who's a 100 years old. Yes... a century old! Other than a bit of a hearing difficulty, she's pretty healthy barring her gynecological problem. Wow, I can only wish I can be that healthy in my 70s. Anyway, another interesting thing is that in the UK, once someone reaches 100 years old, they receive a signed telegram straight from the Queen on their birthday. I was lucky enough to get to see one of those since she bought it to clinic to show the consultant. :D The consultant say she's undoubtedly her most senior patient. Also, this morning a patient just gave birth in the corridor. Too bad I wasn't there to see that happen as it was just a few corridors away from my location at that particular time. But, it does say that babies have no sense of time XD

So yeah, that's all for now. I gotta wake up super early tomorrow (about 5.30 am) to catch a train to a health center. It's quite some distance away from Portsmouth and that's the only way I can get there by 8.30 am. Man, I wish I have my car again :(. I'm supposed to shadow a community midwife around for the day... so yeah. Anyway, will update you folks on more issues next time. Cheerio!

Comments Posted (0)

Post a Comment